Premier Areas of Coverage

  • Antofagasta
  • Copiapó
  • La Serena
  • Santiago
  • Valdivia

Country Details

Chile is one of South America's most stable and prosperous nations today.  Its major industries include Mining (copper), Food (salmon) and Chemical (oil, plastic).  Spanish is the official language, although there are also quite a few indigenous languages spoken such as Aymara, Quechua and Huilliche.  The official currency is the Chilean Peso (CLP), but the UF (UNIDAD DE FOMENTO) is used for various large purchases including rental agreements.

Important things to know when renting a property in Chile:

Common Expat Areas - The areas where affordable, desirable rentals are most likely to be located within Santiago are: La Dehesa, Santa Maria de Manquehue, El Golf, Vitacura, Los Dominicos, Providencia.

  • Most landlords require a guarantor.  In case the transferring corporation is unable to guarantee the lease, they may be asked to provide an employment letter indicating the position, monthly allowance and years the employee has been working at the company.  It is up to the landlord to accept this letter in lieu of a guarantor.
  • Rental leases are generally negotiated in UF (UNIDAD DE FOMENTO) a monetary unit that varies on a daily basis according to the inflation.  This allows for rent readjustment to be done on a monthly basis.  This information is very important as it affects the housing allowance calculation.


  • Who pays rental commission? The rental commission is split (50%) landlord & 50% tenant.
  • How much is the rental commission? The rental commission is one month + VAT.
  • Is an Advance rent required? Only if no guarantor is involved, the landlord may request up to one year of rent in advance.
  • What is the standard lease term? The lease term is one year, renewable automatically.
  • What is the frequency of payments? Monthly, payments due typically within five days.
  • Is there a security deposit? Yes.
  • How much is the security deposit? The security deposit is one month´s rent.
  • Who holds the security deposit? The landlord holds the security deposit.
  • Lease written in what language? The lease is written in Spanish.
  • Lease is normally prepared by? The standard rental lease will be provided by the owner of the property, unless there is a corporate lease managed by Premier.
  • Is a cancellation clause accepted?  Yes. In general it starts after year one and notice has to be given 60 days prior to the departure.



Utilities are not usually included as part of the rent. The average monthly cost will depend on the size of the family and usage.  Please note that gas is very expensive in Chile.  Main utilities remain in the landlord’s name, but tenant is responsible for paying them.  The tenant is responsible for connecting and paying for telephone, cable and internet. 

The most popular providers for telephone service are:


GTD Manquehue –

Telefonica –


The most popular providers for internet service are:



GTD Manquehue –


Cell phone – There are a variety of cell phone companies that offer good services.  All of them will require the Chilean ID (RUT), unless a pre-paid package is purchased.  The most common companies are:

Entel –

Movistar –

Claro –

Public schools are not recommended in Chile.  There are several excellent private schools for relocating families to choose from. 
Day Care /Pre-school: Day Care Centers and Pre Schools operate either all year round or during the school year from March to December.  Full or part time services are available.
Elementary School: Kindergarten (5-6 Years old), 1st (6-7), 2nd (7-8), 3rd (8-9), 4th (9-10) and 5th grade (10-11); 6th (11-12).
High School: 7th (12-13), 8th (13-14); 9th (14-15), 10th (15-16), 11th (16-17), 12th (17-18)

Most schools will require an entry/admissions test.

Requirements: Requested certificates have to be legalized by the Ministry of Education in the home country.

  • School records from the your home country
  • Original Birth Certificate
  • Letter submitted by the school from your home country presenting the family members

International Police Registration Process
Once you enter Chile with your visa the registration process at the International Police must take place. The needed document for this process is your passport with the stamped visa.  We suggest going first thing in the morning since the process will take 2-3 hours.  The International Police will issue a registration card that has to be kept in the passport always.


Chilean ID

In order to apply for the Chilean ID, you must have a work visa or a temporary resident visa. You can apply after the visa has been approved and the registration process at the International Police is completed. The required documentation is as follows:

  • Passport with stamped visa
  • Registration card submitted at International Police
  • Chilean ID card process: the ID card processing will be done at the civil registrar office. This procedure must be performed within the 30 calendar days of your date of entrance with the stamped visa to the country.  All family members must attend.

The Chilean ID card is received 15 days after the registration process at the civil registrar offices has taken place.


Driver License 

The Chilean Drivers License must be obtained once you have the work visa and the Chilean ID card. The driving manual can be studied in Spanish or English although the test can only be taken in Spanish.  For none Spanish speakers unfortunately they do not offer a translator, therefore we recommend that the manual be read/studied only in Spanish to learn the necessary material for the tests.  The following tests are required:

Theoretical: In which you have to study a questionnaire of 220 questions. The test consists of 35 questions; you are allowed to miss seven  questions.

Driving Test: You must provide a vehicle for the driving test. The vehicle must have a valid tag.  During the driving test the examiner will observe your ability to control the vehicle and how well you obey traffic laws as stated in the manual.

Additional Requirements
Class B Exam Requirements - Minimum Age 18
Medical: Including vision, hearing and reflects – This is done by the doctor the MUNICIPALIDAD has appointed and it takes place the same day you are applying for all the tests.  The MUNICIPALIDAD is the county hall where the driver´s test is taken

Required documentation

  • Study Certificate legalized –This is any study degree that proves the person finished high school. In some cases it has to be legalized by the Chilean consulate in the country of origin.
  • Chilean ID
  • Driver license from the home country
  • Residence Certificate of the living area or the rental agreement
  • Medical certificate

Chilean driver´s license expires on the same date that the visa does.

TAG Toll Program
If regular travel in the HIGHWAYS is needed, we recommend obtaining a TAG for ease of travel. Once the vehicle is purchased, it must be taken to one of the highway companies to rent the TAG:

Payment will be charged on a monthly basis and can be deducted automatically from a bank account, credit card or paid through the internet.