Premier Areas of Coverage

  • México DF (City)         •  Ciudad del Carmen
  • Guadalajara                •  Hermosillo
  • Monterrey                   •  Poza Rica
  • Puebla                          •  Puerto Vallarta
  • Querétaro                   •  Reynosa
  • Saltillo                          •  San Luis Potosí
  • Torreón                        •  Veracruz
  • Villahermosa
  • Irapuato
  • Tijuana
  • Zacatecas

Country Details

Mexico is a nation rich in history, tradition, culture, and natural beauty.  It is the most populous Spanish-speaking country in the world. In addition, the government recognizes over 60 indigenous Amerindian languages.  Mexico is one of the world’s largest economies and is one of the most visited countries.  Among its natural resources are petroleum, silver, gold, natural gas and timber.  The official currency is the Peso (MXN)

Important things to know when renting a property in Mexico:

Common Expat Areas- The areas where affordable, desirable rentals are most likely to be located within DF are:  (West area) - Lomas de Chapultepec, Polanco, Condesa, Santa Fe, Bosques de las Lomas, Herradura, Tecamachalco; (North area) - Vallescondido, Chiluca; (South area) - Pedregal, San Angel, Coyoacan, Las Aguilas.

  • All landlords require a guarantor.  If the company doesn’t serve as the guarantor, the landlord may request some rent up front.  In case the transferring corporation is unable to guarantee the lease, they may also be asked to provide an employment letter indicating the position, monthly allowance and years the employee has been working at the company.  It is up to the landlord to accept this letter in lieu of a guarantor.
  • It is common that rents are negotiated in USD.
  • The normal practice in Mexico is that all leases are private; this means that the landlords will not give an official tax receipt for the rent.
  • The tenant is responsible for the maintenance and painting of the property during the tenancy.  The landlord will only cover major damages to the property not caused by the tenant. 


  • Who pays rental commission? The landlord pays the rental commission
  • How much is the rental commission? The rental commission is one month
  • Is an advance rent required? Yes, one month, held by landlord
  • Standard lease term? The standard term is one year, renewable
  • What is the frequency of payments? Payments are made monthly
  • Is there a security deposit, how much? The security is one month unfurnished; two months furnished
  • Who holds the security deposit? The Landlord holds the security deposit
  • The lease written in what language? The lease is written in Spanish
  • The lease is normally prepared by? The lease is prepared by the destination services provider; preference is to use the corporate template if one is available to insure that the legal aspect has been approved
  • Is a business release clause accepted? Yes, most landlords will accept with a 30–60 day written notice.  Even though the landlord accepts the clause, in most cases the security deposit will not be returned to the tenant

Utilities are not included as part of the rent.  Costs vary based on property size and usage.  Main utilities remain in the landlord’s name, but tenant is responsible for paying them.  Here is some important information to keep in mind for the main utilities:

Electricity - payments must be made to an authorized bank.  In case electricity is cut off, it must be reconnected at the Commercial Office.

Water – Bi-monthly invoices can be paid at the Federal District’s treasury or at the corresponding state  treasury.
Note:  All bills and payment receipts must be kept and returned to the landlord at the end of the lease.

Telephone - To guarantee the optimal function of service, the company of choice is Telmex -

Cable - Cable TV requires one year contract.  A penalty is assessed if cancelled early. The most popular providers for service are:

Sky -
Cablevision –

Internet – The most popular providers for internet service are:

Prodigy –
Avantel –
AT&T –

Cell phone – There are a variety of cell phone companies that offer good service.  All of them require a one year contract.  A penalty is assessed if cancelled early.  The most common providers are:


The most common expat schools are:

Requirements – It is important to register your child/ren as early as possible.

  • All documentation requested by the school is necessary
  • In most cases, an admission test will take place in order to measure the student’s academic level. Some schools  require interviews with the parents before admitting the child/ren
  • Besides registration and  monthly tuition payments, most schools have extra charges for transportation, books and uniforms
  • The admission process is regulated internally by each school

Social Security – after obtaining the Mexican working permit, the employee is eligible to benefit from Mexico’s social security. The transferring corporation will register the employee in the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS).  After he/she is registered by the company, the number needs to be activated in person at the nearest IMMS.

Driver License
In order to obtain an appointment, a registration must be paid through the website ( and the “universal format” must be filled out introducing code 1, the “capture line” must also be filled out.   
Required documents:

  • Original and photocopy of FM3
  • Original and photocopy of proof of address
  • Paid universal format

Registration as a Tax Payer
This process is relatively easy and is completed in two appointments.  The following documents required:

  • FM3 (visa)
  • CURP: Unique Code of Population Registration
  • RFC: Federal Registration for Tax Payers
  • CIEC: Confidential Electronic ID Code
  • FIEL: Electronic Signature