Premier Areas of Coverage

  • Lima

Country Details

Peru, located in western South America, extends for nearly 1,500 mi (2,414 km) along the Pacific Ocean. Colombia and Ecuador are to the north, Brazil and Bolivia to the east, and Chile to the south. Peru is divided by the Andes Mountains into three sharply differentiated zones. To the west is the coastline, much of it arid and it extens 50 to 100 mi (80 to 160 km) inland. The mountain area has peaks over 20,000 ft. (6,096 m), lofty plateaus, deep valleys, and lies in the center of the country. Beyond the mountains to the east is the heavily forested slope leading to the Amazonian plains. The population of Peru is approximately 3 million people and the local currency is the PEN (Peruvian Nuevo Sol). The main export products are Gold, Copper, Silver, Cotton, Avocadoes, Asparagus, and Flowers.

Important things to know when renting a property in Peru:

Common Expat Areas: San Isidro, Miraflores, Surco and La Molina.


  • Is a guarantor needed? Yes, however some landlords will accept a letter from the employer
  • Who pays rental commission? The landlord
  • How much is the rental commission? 1 month’s rent
  • What is the standard lease term? The lease term is 12 months and is renewed automatically unless written notice is provided
  • What currency is used to negotiate the lease and pay the rent? USD
  • Who are the funds held by?  The landlord
  • How often is the rent paid? The rent is paid monthly
  • Is there a security deposit required? Security deposit is two (2) month’s rent
  • Who holds the security deposit?  The landlord
  • What language is the lease written in? The lease is usually written in Spanish
  • Who is the lease normally prepared by? The lease is prepared by the Destination Services Provider; it is preferable to use a corporate template if one is available to insure that all legal aspects have been approved
  • Is a cancellation clause accepted?  Most Landlords will accept cancelation but there is usually a penalty involved


Utilities are paid separately from the rent. Some utilities include electricity, cable, internet, telephone, water, and maintenance/administration fees.


To obtain telephone services you are required to have your PERUVIAN ID (Carnet de Extranjería) for identification purposes. The most common telephone companies are:


Generally, you will choose what cable company you would like to sign up for. The most popular companies are:

Cell Phone

There are three cell phone companies that offer good service.  All of them will require you to have your Peruvian ID (Carnet de Extranjería), unless you purchase a pre-paid package where your passport will be requested.  Their pricing and services will vary.

Public schools are not recommended in Peru. The school year in Peru runs from March to December.

  • Day Care /Pre-school: Day Care Centers and Pre-schools operate either all year round or during the school year from March to December.  Full or part-time services costs may vary between $250 and $650 per month.
  • Elementary School: Kindergarten (5-6 Years old), 1st grade (6-7 Years old), 2nd grade (7-8 Years old), 3rd grade (8-9 Years old), 4th grade (9-10 Years old), 5th grade (10-11 Years old), and 6th grade (11-12 Years old).
  • Middle/High School: 8th grade (Called “primero de media” 12-13 Years Old), 9th grade (Called “segundo de media” 13-14 Years Old), 10th grade (Called “tercero de media” 14-15 Years Old), 11th grade (Called “cuarto de media” 15-16 Years Old), 12th grade (Called “quinto de media” 16-17 Years Old)

The most common schools for expatriate families are:

Registering your Child/Children

Non-Spanish records need to be officially translated. Some schools will not require translation of these records or may translate them for free; this requirement will be determined based on the school your child/children will attend. The following will be needed in order to register you child/children in school. The documents will also need to be legalized by the Ministry of Education from the home country.

 School records from the home country

  • Original Birth Certificate
  • Letter submitted by the school form your home country introducing the family members
  • Entry test – this is required for all private schools


The local Peruvian ID you will need is called “Carnet de Extranjería.” In order to apply for the Peruvian ID, you must have a work visa or a temporary resident visa. You can apply after the visa has been approved. The required documentation is as follows:

  • Passport with stamped visa
  • Work Contract
  • Letter from current employer
  • Immigration documentation provided by immigration attorney processing the Carnet de Extranjería

It can take two weeks to two months to receive your Peruvian ID and it can be picked up at the immigration offices once it is ready.

Drivers License

In order to drive in Peru you must obtain a Peruvian driver’s license and it can be obtained once you have your work visa. The minimum driving age is 18 and the license will expire 8 years after it is issued. The necessary documents are:

  • Legalized High School Diploma or equivalent – This is any certificate that proves completion of high school. In some cases it has to be legalized by the Peruvian consulate in the country of origin
  • Peruvian ID (Carnet de Extranjería)
  • Driver license from the home country
  • Proof of Residency in Peru
  • Proof of Employment

You will also be required to take an exam. We will provide you with a driving manual and the exam can only be taken in Spanish; unfortunately there is no other alternative for non-Spanish speakers. The following are the necessary exams to obtain your licnese:

  • Medical - including vision, hearing and reflexes, and psychological which are done by a doctor.
  • Written –the exam is taken in Spanish and consists of 20 questions, you are only allowed to miss 5 questions.
    Driving Test - you will have to provide a vehicle for the driving test and it must have a valid license plate. During the driving test, the examiner will observe your ability to control the vehicle and how well you obey traffic laws. 

The fee for the application is 65.00 USD and the offices are open Monday through Friday from 7:30am – 4:30pm and Saturdays from 7:00am – 1:30pm.

Bank Account

You will find that banks are strict in terms of opening accounts (checking, savings, etc.) to a non-Peruvian citizen.  The requirements to opening an account are:

  • A copy of the PERUVIAN ID card (Carnet de Extranjería)
  • Copy of work contract
  • Certificate submitted by the company indicating the years you have been working for them
  • Copy of the identification page of your passport
  • A contact phone number
  • An address in Peru

Using the bank your company manages their corporate accounts with, may help facilitate this process.

Furniture Stores